Your username may already exist
If you ever posted anything to any of the business forums, your username exists. Check if it is listed at memberlist.php and write support@cgaa.info to get its temporary password. Please change your password and update your email address and other profile information.

Current Draft Women's Tuesday & Thursday Zoom Meeting Format

Meeting leader resources and discussion of meeting types, schedules, formats, topics, leaders of the OOMG, EGGA, and any other online meeting groups
desire2stop

Current Draft Women's Tuesday & Thursday Zoom Meeting Format

Post by desire2stop »

Beginning
1. Welcome to the Tuesday / Thursday women’s meeting of Computer Gaming Addicts Anonymous. My name is and I am a gaming addict. This is a closed women’s meeting. This means that the meeting is open only to women who have a desire to stop gaming. If you think you have a problem with gaming, you are welcome to stay. If you are a visitor, please review our CGAA meeting schedule for open meetings that members of the public can attend.

2. Let’s open the meeting with a moment of silence for the gaming addict who still suffers, followed by the Serenity Prayer:
Higher Power, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

3. Is anyone new or coming back? We ask not to embarrass you, but so that we may get to know you better.

4. You will have a chance to introduce yourself and share your story during the meeting. Your anonymity will be respected. After the meeting, you are welcome to stay and fellowship, and ask for phone numbers.

5. This is the CGAA mission statement.
Computer Gaming Addicts Anonymous is a fellowship of people who support each other in recovering from the problems resulting from excessive game playing. C.G.A.A. is not affiliated with any political agenda, religion, or outside interests. Our single purpose is to abstain from gaming and to help others find freedom from the effects of gaming addiction. We have no membership requirements beyond the desire to stop gaming.

Our groups share their collective experience and the principles that helped them. Each of us is free to try out or disregard the suggestions of the program and other members. We have no professionals and no affiliation with any professional or government services. Our groups are financed by voluntary contributions from members and accept no outside funding.
A bit more about CGAA and our meeting etiquette: CGAA is not an organization that can help with moderation. Most of us didn’t want to stop completely at first. We were still clinging to the hope that we might learn how to control our gaming. Our fellowship consists of a group of people who have consistently failed with every possible moderation strategy. Even when we seemed able to stop or seemed able to exercise restraint with our gaming for a time, this was sooner or later followed by relapse. Rather than continuing the downward spiral, we accept that we cannot effectively moderate. Abstinence is left as our only alternative. We in CGAA are best suited to help those who fit this profile.

6. If you are a member of another 12-step fellowship, you are welcome here today if you believe you have a problem with gaming and a desire to stop. We ask that you focus on our fellowship, and problems related to gaming addiction. Problems and struggles related to other addictions should be talked about in meetings specifically for that addiction.

7. I have asked a friend to read What can I do? https://cgaa.info/how-to-stop-video-gaming/

8. Does anyone have game-free time that you’d like to mention and celebrate with the group today?

9. To show newcomers that the program works, all those with a year or more, please put the star in the chat.

10. Are there any announcements for the good of CGAA?

11. Our format is that we share for 3-5 minutes each until everyone had a chance to share—if the meeting size changes based upon new arrivals, we may ask folks to share for shorter time frame. If we use a timekeeper, they will let you know when you have 1 minute left, and you should begin wrapping up your share—please make sure you can see them on the Zoom window. If you are audio only, the timekeeper will say something during your share to let you know it is time.

12. (If needed) Is there anyone willing to be our spiritual timekeeper?

13. Before we begin sharing:
Denial is a component of addiction, and our addict brains are always trying to tell us how we are the exception to the rule. We have already mentioned our recovery means abstinence from gaming. Before we start sharing, we want to explain what qualifies as gaming, as some folks may have lurking notions about a favored activity they have never considered gaming.

We define gaming as continuously interactive forms of electronic entertainment. This includes games played on consoles, computers, handheld devices, browser-based games, VR games, and more. This means that games such as text only games, games that are stock on new computers, educational or exercise games, simplistic or complex games, board or card games played digitally, games played alone or with others, games played with strangers or people we know in real life, gambling games on the devices mentioned count as gaming. Unfortunately, as new technology develops, we may find our list will expand.

Our experience shows that any amount of any type of gaming, regardless of platform, simplicity, or similarity to non-video games feeds the addiction and leads to relapse. Our goal is abstinence, and we refrain from all forms of games in order to recover.

The only requirement for CGAA membership is a desire to stop gaming.

14. This is a topic discussion meeting and today we share on the topic of

15. Discussion is not limited to the topic of the day, but encouraged. Please keep crosstalk to a minimum and try to refrain from profanity. If you are new, you can ask any questions, introduce yourself or share your struggles. To help one another we try to focus on our experience, strength, and hope—carrying the message rather than carrying the mess. We share in a brief and general way what it was like, what happened, and what is like now.

16. When sharing we ask that you refrain from mentioning games, or mentioning or describing actions and activities related to gaming to avoid triggering other members. We likewise ask that you refrain from in depth discussions that reference sex, violence, etc. as this is content better shared one to one, ideally with a sponsor or therapist.

17. Discussion

18. Thank you all for being here and helping me and each other stay of games one more day.

19. If you are new or don’t yet have a sponsor, we encourage you to consider getting one. Sponsorship is an informal, voluntary relationship that can be very helpful. Anyone who is available to be a temporary sponsor please put an exclamation point to the chat. If we don’t have anyone currently available, we suggest trying other CGAA meetings. We also know that some of our members have sought sponsors in older, much more established 12 step fellowships.

20. We are an anonymous fellowship, so who you see here, what is said here, when you leave here, let it stay here.

21. Will all who care to join me in the closing Serenity Prayer
Higher Power, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference
desire2stop

Re: Current Draft Women's Tuesday & Thursday Zoom Meeting Format

Post by desire2stop »

I wanted to share a bit about some of the choices behind adjusting the format--it's come to our attention that because we are a small and growing fellowship, in some cases our members may not have viewed the FAQs, which outlines valuable information about the CGAA program, and what gaming actually is.

Toward this end, we've added that information as part of the format.

Those of you who remember the "Kimmy Meeting" which included some great details of information that might be useful for folks as part of the opening, the things we have added are an homage to that format.

The format continues to be under review and was adapted with the Tues/Thurs group input.

Finally, if you have not reviewed the current FAQs, these are a great resource, linked below:
https://www.cgaa.info/frequently-asked-questions/