Your username may already exist
If you ever posted anything to any of the business forums, your username exists. Check if it is listed at memberlist.php and write support@cgaa.info to get its temporary password. Please change your password and update your email address and other profile information.

Starting in Fall 2020, could we stop changing meeting times for Daylight Saving Time changes?

Meeting leader resources and discussion of meeting types, schedules, formats, topics, leaders of the OOMG, EGGA, and any other online meeting groups
LND_5678

Starting in Fall 2020, could we stop changing meeting times for Daylight Saving Time changes?

Post by LND_5678 »

We have a lot of members around the globe. I found the switch of our meetings from 1:30pm EDT to 2:30 EDT mind-boggling confusing this spring. I keep showing up at the wrong time. No doubt by the time I get it right and start showing up at 2:30pm, the meeting will probably be back to 1:30 pm and I'll have missed it. It's also confusing that afternoon switches time, but the 10PM meeting doesn't switch time? Or is that my imagination?

My request: could our meeting schedule always use UTC, and never switch between Daylight Saving and Standard time?

From Wikipedia:
Coordinated Universal Time (or UTC) is the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time. It is within about 1 second of mean solar time at 0 longitude, and is not adjusted for daylight saving time.

It is NOT adjusted for daylight saving time. It stays the same, regardless of season. So, for example, one of our regular daily meetings could always be at 5:30 PM (17:30) UTC, and the other could always be at 02:00 UTC. While it might seem inconvenient at first, we would know that the meetings themselves never change time. Only our local regional clocks change time... which we know anyway.

I'm suggesting this because I feel disoriented in both time and space with the changes we're all being asked to make due to the global epidemic we're experiencing.

thank you for considering it,
Linda
Scott

Post by Scott »

No matter what time zone we tie our meetings to, the meeting times will change sometimes. If tied to UTC, a UTC 0200 meeting would be at 10pm Eastern during the summer and at 9pm Eastern during the winter. 9pm is 6pm, which is too early in the evening for many West Coasters. A UTC 0300 meeting would be at 10pm Eastern during the winter and at 11pm during the summer, much too late for many people.

There is no solution that's easy for everyone. The thing that makes the most sense is to tie each meeting slot to the time zone of most of the people attending it. Thus the late meeting is tied to US/Canada time and the early meeting is tied to European Union time.

If the changes seem crazy for US/Canada, you should check out the changes for Australia. The late meeting changed an hour earlier March 8, the early meeting changes an hour earlier March 29, and they both change again a second hour earlier on April 5.