Your username may already exist
If you ever posted anything to any of the business forums, your username exists. Check if it is listed at memberlist.php and write support@cgaa.info to get its temporary password. Please change your password and update your email address and other profile information.

June 12th 2018 Group Conscience Meeting Minutes

Forum for moderating the WhatsApp group and posting etiquette
Josh

Post by Josh »

June 12th 2019 WhatsApp Group Conscience Meeting Minutes

People in attendance Anthony (left before vote on Agenda topic #3), Ian, Ilya, Josh, JustTom (Tom?), Martha, mburton, Molly, Shmully, Leann (only around temporarily), Xander, Johanna (left before topic #3/4 was voted on but proposed just before she needed to leave)

Agenda topics:

1.Review forum post #3, discuss if list incomplete.
2.Decide whether whatsapp is a continuous meeting or a gathering of folks before/after a meeting.
3.Discuss etiquette suggestions for the group, keeping in mind self regulation has not really been an issue.
4.Suggestions for group description contents.
5.What actions constitute a need to remove someone from the group?
6.Boundaries for use of third party materials?  White/black list? Template for sharing potentially triggery material?
7. Vote on GC Chair.  Josh is temp chair until group votes on chair and sub chair.

Review forum post #3 on common uses of WhatsApp  viewtopic.php?p=7977#p7977

No action decided, all in agreement on common uses of the group.

Decide whether whatsApp is a continuous meeting or a gathering of folks/before/after a meeting

Lots of discussion around this topic

Proposal of treating the WhatsApp group as a social gathering and not a meeting was approved

Approved with 9 Ayes, no Nays

Discussion strayed to another topic about Admin control and when they should or should not have control

Concerns were stated that the Admins should be voted upon in a position rotation.  Will be added to remaining agenda topics for next meeting.

A stray remark about a proposal to change the name of the WhatsApp Group name came up.  Will add to agenda for discussion next time

Another proposal came up to create a WhatsApp business group for decision making related to the WhatsApp group as they happen.

Will be added to agenda for next meeting.

Discuss etiquette suggestions for the group.  We also integrated this into the group description contents (agenda item #4)

Proposal by Johanna for group description:

Welcome to the CGAA WhatsApp group.  We are here to help support each other in recovering from gaming addiction.  We encourage you to share your successes and struggles and to reach out for help when you need it.  In our addiction, we were isolated. here you are no longer alone.

A few guidelines to keep the group safe:

- Sharing out own experience, strength, and hope with similar situations is much more powerful and healing than giving advice
- We avoid debates and controversial discussions. (Save topics like religion/politics and discussions about fellowship business for other settings.)
- Please refrain from naming specific games (it can trigger other members).
- Recovery can be hard, particularly if you are have other mental health challenges.  If you are suicidal, know that you aren’t alone. Please ask for help from a professional or a suicide hotline.

Proposal Approved with 7 Ayes, no Nays

Proposal by mburton (not on agenda but related to agenda topic #5) to empower Admins to kick people out of the group

Proposal not approved, no Ayes, 4 Nays.

will be discussed in next GC meeting

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Josh

Post by Josh »

Seems all the formatting I had disappeared when I created the post. My apologies.

Josh

Post by Josh »

We found out that WhatsApp group descriptions can only be 500 characters. Johanna has reworked her description to just under 500 characters and is as follows below:

"
Welcome! We are here to support each other in recovering from gaming addiction. We encourage sharing your successes and struggles and reaching out for help when you need it. In our addiction, we were isolated. Here you are no longer alone.

To keep the group safe,

- Share experience, strength, and hope instead of advice
- Avoid debates (including religion, politics, & fellowship business)
- Don't name specific games
- Seek help from a professional or suicide hotline for mental health crises
"