Your username may already exist
If you ever posted anything to any of the business forums, your username exists. Check if it is listed at memberlist.php and write support@cgaa.info to get its temporary password. Please change your password and update your email address and other profile information.

CGAA Whatsapp Group

Forum for moderating the WhatsApp group and posting etiquette
CGAA

CGAA Whatsapp Group

Post by CGAA »

The CGAA Whatsapp Group is an international group of people supporting and helping each other with recovery from gaming addiction on Whatsapp.  If you are a problem gamer who would like to join it, load Whatsapp onto your device, create a login, and click this link on your device.

https://cgaa.info/whatsapp

If you are having trouble joining the group or have any questions, send Chris a private message here with your name and phone number (including your country code).

• It's only for people who have a problem with compulsive gaming

• Everyone in the group can see your phone number

• Any personal information you *may* have in your Whatsapp profile can be viewed by group members

• This group offers around-the-clock support so there will be messages at all times of the day and night. You may want to adjust your alerts for Whatsapp on your phone so as not to disturb you during sleep, work, school, etc

• Whatsapp is actually owned by Facebook and being such makes connections that may be disturbing to some members.

Note: For those without devices that have the Whatsapp app available, it is possible to get on Whatsapp in other ways using emulators such as Anbox.

Nis

CGAA Whatsapp Group

Post by Nis »

EDITED to include available workarounds.

Just a note, for others who have chosen not to own or use a smartphone: Running WhatsApp normally requires you to have a smartphone which is turned on and has access to the internet. There is a web interface available, but it requires your phone to be online when you use it. It is possible to work around this, by emulating a smartphone on your computer - there are some pointers to websites with instructions in the later comments. TRIGGER WARNING: As described below, quite a few of the emulator websites feature a lot of gaming content - some of them are exclusively marketed for "playing mobile games on your pc.

Another option is to do the initial set up for the web interface using a smartphone, then place it somewhere where you cannot use it - in a locked drawer, at a friends house or in another "safe" place. Remember that the phone needs to stay on and online. It does not need to have a SIM card - you can use a different phone for the SIM-based part of the set
Orchid

CGAA Whatsapp Group

Post by Orchid »

https://www.techbout.com/use-whatsapp-o ... one-21184/

I haven't tried it, but this link looks loke it has good instructions on setting up whatsapp on a computer without a smart phone.
Scott

CGAA Whatsapp Group

Post by Scott »

Cool, thanks for the link.  I had looked into this a while back but the only thing I found was Whatsapp Web which requires a mobile phone with Whatsapp, which doesn't help me.

I clicked on the link to the bluestacks website for the Android emulator.  TRIGGER WARNING: It's a gaming website covered with gaming pics and links.  It looks it provides gaming software that includes the emulator.
Orchid

CGAA Whatsapp Group

Post by Orchid »

Oops! I didn't think to look further into bluestacks. I can see if there's a different emulator, unless someone else knows of one.
zoetman

CGAA Whatsapp Group

Post by zoetman »

NOTE: I moved this post to the members only forum to prevent trolls from having easy access to the invite link.
Nis

CGAA Whatsapp Group

Post by Nis »

I managed to get WhatsApp working without a smartphone, using the "anbox" emulator. Kind of clunky, but better than a phone.
ADH

CGAA Whatsapp Group

Post by ADH »

An anon joined the whatsapp group. That's not the intention, I guess. Could a message be added to the first post informing that it's not for those around the addict?
Orchid

CGAA Whatsapp Group

Post by Orchid »

I think it already says that with "If you are a problem gamer who would like to join it..." Or do you think it needs a direct message to anons as well?