Your username may already exist
If you ever posted anything to any of the business forums, your username exists. Check if it is listed at memberlist.php and write support@cgaa.info to get its temporary password. Please change your password and update your email address and other profile information.

Discussion and Research : Triggery Content

Forum for moderating the WhatsApp group and posting etiquette
Josh

Post by Josh »

Group Conscience on July 10th 2019 voted to table a topic for further discussion.

"
Boundaries for use of third party materials? White/black list? Template for sharing potentially triggery material?
"

It was wholely debated the merits of not creating lists, and also having a limited blacklist. Most were in favor of no lists, and to find a way to enable triggery content to be hidden in a fashion.

There is no built in functionality, but a website seems like something we can use.

https://yi-jiayu.github.io/whatsapp-spoilers/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Josh

Post by Josh »

It seems the javascript used for that website is as follows:

"
function createSpoilerMessage() { var warning = document.getElementById('warning').value; var content = document.getElementById('content').value; var message = warning + ' ' + '\u200B'.repeat(4000) + content; document.getElementById('message').value = message; }
"

I am posting it hear just in case the website goes down and needs to be recreated.

Josh

Post by Josh »

I ran a few tests in chat using some test "spoilers" out of https://yi-jiayu.github.io/whatsapp-spoilers.

The "read more" is right after the warning and expands when clicked. If accidentally clicked, or if the message is something you wish to hide again, simply press the back button to open up the main whatsapp list of chats and then click back on our whatsapp chat. All unhidden posts will be hidden again.

I think this has the potential to really assist us with sharing content that might be triggery to some.

Perhaps something more specific than [possible trigger warning] should be used.

[Trigger Link warning] for links to youtube

[Trigger warning] for a possibly triggery content share.

I still srand by that Game names should still not be said, even with the way to hide it, but that is just me.

Josh

Post by Josh »

More research on the use of the trigger warning creator above. It makes whatsapp text messages much much larger than normal messages due to the 4000 zero width space characters. A normal message of roughly 100 characters or so is about 0.1kB. A trigger warning for 100 characters is about 12kB.

In doing a deep dive for all chat messages I have for the whatsapp, since I have joined almost 1 year and 5 months ago, i found that all of the chat messages took 2.7MB of space. In that, we had 167 website links. Those website links, which only consumed 16.7kB of space, if they were wrapped with the trigger warning, would take up 1.9MB of space. That would almost double our space usage of text.

Not sure how much of an issue this could be, but there it all is. We can choose to not download most media content except for audio messages and text. Not sure if people have phone space limitations so we (Johanna and I) did our research.

ADH

Post by ADH »

Hey! Lets avoid the "trigger warning" stuff. I don't want my phone filled with whatsapp messages. I need my phone's free space for other things too.
Josh

Post by Josh »

While I am seeing that this method is not ideal, it was still a topic that was brought up at the GC for either ways to hide triggery content or prevent some content from being put into the group.

I do not recall if the discussion around this topic was related to newcomers struggling or if it was triggered due to some reference link to a gamer website.

Josh

Post by Josh »

ADH wrote:Hey! Lets avoid the "trigger warning" stuff. I don't want my phone filled with whatsapp messages. I need my phone's free space for other things too.
I have had time to think, and honestly I am not seeing much complaints about triggers. It would be nice to have a good method, but it may just be something that we are putting a rule for that doesn't need to be ruled since it seems to be self governing.

I will ask the chat group and see how people respond.

Josh

Post by Josh »

New triggery content proposal.

There are two actions to this proposal:

1. Update the WhatsApp forum post link.

Add to the WhatsApp post to include recommendations to newcomers to set media download not to auto download. This will allow people to not download and see content that might be triggery as media will not be downloaded unless the person clicks on it to view. The proposed addition is:

<so we need instructions here for turning off auto download of media?>

2. A generic way to share content that could be triggery. (Also a modification to the post which has the WhatsApp link)

Another addition to the WhatsApp forum post would be to add the triggery content template as follows:

"
If you want to share something that could easily trigger others (either with gaming urges or ptsd reactions), use caution. You can share it if it's meaningful in your recovery, but we ask that you do the following:

Add a "TRIGGER WARNING: <content>" in the post before the triggery content. The <content> being the gaming urges or PTSD reactions previously mentioned.

If the content is a web link, post the link.

If the content is audio/video/picture, upload it after the trigger warning above.

If the content is to be typed text, type it out on a textpad and take a screenshot and upload the screenshot. This offers people the ability to "opt out".

"

Josh

Post by Josh »

I agree that it would be nice to have the three above definitions, as I have seen others use the word "triggering" for what they feel it means.

The proposal above was reworded by another CGAA member and posted it for the Group Conscious to vote on. I will post it below.

Josh

Post by Josh »

Here is what GC voted into place.

"
Add this to the forum post with the whatsapp link:

1: Many people may prefer to not auto-download images, either to keep your phone free of excess images or to control what content you look at. <instructions on how>

2: "When you share about things that have been meaningful to your recovery, we encourage you to speak about your own experience. If that includes sharing images or links to text that others have written, please label where it's from, particularly if it is text from another fellowship, contains gaming references, or talks about trauma."

"

I will be posting the meeting notes either today or tomorrow.