Your username may already exist
If you ever posted anything to any of the business forums, your username exists. Check if it is listed at memberlist.php and write support@cgaa.info to get its temporary password. Please change your password and update your email address and other profile information.

Move whatsapp group to signal?

Forum for moderating the WhatsApp group and posting etiquette
ADH

Move whatsapp group to signal?

Post by ADH »

Recently we (Xander, Martha and Shmuly) made a signal group because we are facing some problems with WhatsApp. However, we were too early. Therefore a group conscience meeting is needed.

Here's the list of things at issue with WhatsApp:
  • WhatsApp guarantees group sizes of 256 to work properly. After that the admins cannot manually add people anymore, however people can still be added via an invite link. However, as WhatsApp supports only groups of up to 256, I feel particularly insecure about going beyond that number. All kinds of issues might happen regarding the quality of the service and the usability of the software, we don't want that to happen.
  • FaceBook, the owner of whatsapp, has recently changed the privacy policy to such a degree that it becomes more difficult to observe our integrity towards the traditions. This, however, is not of issue to those in Europe, but I do not know how things work cross border regarding this.
Now, why signal?
  • Signal supports up to 1000 members in a single group, we should be able to use that for the foreseeable future without any concerns.
  • Signal is developed by a foundation, not a for profit company. The software is open source and those programming inclined can review the source code of both the client and server here (if so desired).
  • It has a focus on security and privacy.
Scott

Re: Move whatsapp group to signal?

Post by Scott »

The Signal group exists. No need for a group conscience decision about that.

For the WhatsApp group, let's not close it if there are people using it and people willing to moderate it. If we need more moderators so that both groups are covered, I can be one.