Your username may already exist
If you ever posted anything to any of the business forums, your username exists. Check if it is listed at memberlist.php and write support@cgaa.info to get its temporary password. Please change your password and update your email address and other profile information.

call for fresh website content

Collaboration on literature for the fellowship, such as a Basic Text, a book of Daily Reflections, and pamphlets that address special topics
Forum rules
* Respect, kindness, patience and other good virtues encouraged
* Let's place principles before personalities
Scott

Post by Scott »

The main website's Google rankings tanked a few months ago and remain very low, about where they were when the site was less than a year old. One of Google's most important factors is fresh content. I think our Questionnaire page (which was #1 on google for a few years) hit a certain age and then suddenly dropped below many other addiction test webpages on other sites. We are putting a new updated questionnaire on the website which should help people find us when the Google rankings rise again (hopefully.)

Another thing we can do is add fresh content to the website, at least once or twice per year. I looked at the top searches on Google related to video game addiction and list them below. Please consider writing an article / webpage that I can put on the site that uses one or more of these search terms.

Bold words are in the top ten search terms.

Possible cgaa.info "fresh content page" topics and keywords:
treatment
help
definition
facts
depression
disorder (mental illness, mental disorder, mental health disorder, medical disorder, syndrome)
negative effects
resources
signs
stories
solutions
survey
video

Keywords to have on questionnaire page:
test
assessment
questions
quiz
questionnaire

On helpline page:
help
hotline
Last edited by Scott on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I'm thinking we could easily add to the list of slogans. It's a small thing, and it's not in the top searches, but it is new content.  "Move a muscle, change a thought."  comes to mind.  There are others.

Can we add any outgoing links?  I know we can't recommend anything outside our fellowship for fear of affiliation, but can we link to an information page and still be in line with traditions?  The American Society of Addiction Medicine is pretty much an education thing, not offering stuff for sale, and they have a really great page that gives a definition of addiction.  Linking to this, in my view, would be along the lines of including a "Doctor's Opinion", which I don't feel violates any tradition.  In fact, at the end of their long definition, they point out, in boldface, the importance of mutual support in recovery, which is one of our main functions here.  So I think it's quite consistent with what we do. Just wondering about a few links like that.  Here's my idea:

Proposed link text:  "The American Society of Addiction Medicine provides a definition of addiction in general, for those who may be seeking a medical perspective." 
Link:  https://www.asam.org/resources/definition-of-addiction

We could also mention something about treatment via medicine, rehab or therapy, along with pointing out the treatment that we offer (mutual support and our program).  Just a paragraph about how we don't oppose or endorse these things, but saying that some of our members have found such things helpful and we are supportive of anything that can help a person recover from gaming addiction.  Again, no endorsement, just a paragraph with the words "treatment" and help in it.  Here's my first attempt:

"Many people try to recover from gaming addiction using various treatments such as therapy, addiction rehab or medical treatment--some successfully, some not. Some of our members have found such activities helpful along with their participation in CGAA.  We don't endorse or oppose these or any other activities, but work to support our members in trying out and finding things that are helpful to them.  The help we provide at CGAA involves mutual support by sharing our experience and a program of recovery (i.e., a treatment for our addiction).  We have found that these things can help us stay away from gaming one day at a time."

Something like that. Thoughts? 
Scott

Post by Scott »

Good ideas, Jeff.  I think we should try to publish a new page or two in the next few months.  Our Google traffic remains pitiful.

To get the best results, I think the new page needs one of the keywords featured in the title, along with that keyword and a few related ones in the content.  I think if we create a title / menu item "Treatment" or "Addiction Treatment" or "Gaming Addiction Treatment" and put it in the "Info on CGAA" menu, along with your content on a page about treatment, that will work well.

I read in a couple of places that page length matters.  A page with a single paragraph does not fare as well as one with several paragraphs.  So we could flesh it out some, and maybe find an image or two.  Images and links boost a page's ranking.
MikeNAustin

Post by MikeNAustin »

Do we have a blog? Seems like an obvious way to invite contributions. I have noticed many submissions to the WhatsApp group that, in my opinion, would be worthy contributions to outward facing literature. We could just publish them anonymously.

1. Add a blog to the site, keep it hidden for now.
2. Establish editorial committee and with publishing guidelines
2. Grab some content from WhatsApp group and the forum.
3. Obtain permission for anonymous use of content.
4. Edit content
5. Get about 14 blog entries lined up for publishing.
6. Starting publishing on a routine basis. I honestly think with our crowd, one a day would be easy-peasy. We have some very creative people.

This would keep fresh content on our site.

It would also form the basis for a publishable. "365 Daily Reflections for CGAAs" and other literature we need.

Note: if there IS a blog or a place to even post articles on the site, I could not find it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ADH

Post by ADH »

I feel very uncomfortable with grabbing things from the whatsapp group or linking to an outside organization.

Linking to an outside organization could turn hairy with them requiring us to comply to something or us giving the impression that we're either part of that organization (whether we put a message denying that in front of the link or not) or endorsing it. Both are against the traditions.

Regarding grabbing content from the whatsapp group; it's a safe space and people might feel their anonymity is tarnished with even at the thought of content from over there appearing on the website. We could ask that group, though.

However, I do think sharing the anonymized stories in the "stories" and "recovery discussion" sections of this forum on the website would be helpful. Especially some of the more powerful ones. However, we do need to ask permission, assuming a "no" in case of no reply.

In any case, if/when we use content from whatsapp and/or the forum, we should always anonymize.

Wordpress (what our website uses) was originally designed with blogs in mind, it later expanded to include everything to build any type of website. So, yes, we could technically build a blog... But is that really what we want?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Here is some possible content about mental health and gaming addiction. The underlined words are potential outgoing or internal links--links help google rankings.

Questions about: Compulsive computer gaming and mental health

Is computer/video game addiction a mental health disorder?

That depends on who you ask: The World Health Organization has identified it as such, for example, based on a large amount of behavioral and brain research (see "Information for Professionals" if you are interested in some of this research). Because our fellowship provides mutual support and a program of recovery based on our experience, we don't really care what you call it: Syndrome, mental illness, medical disorder, insanity, disease, or even just addiction. In fact, we don't mind if you just call it a problem. But our common experience is that there is something that is seriously wrong in our brains that manifests itself in lots of dysfunctional behavior, and we can't fix it ourselves without help. Help for staying off video games is what our fellowship provides.

If you are struggling with compulsive or excessive gaming, however, there are a number of reasons you might have asked this question--that is, there may be other questions behind it:

I don't actually think of myself as an addict or someone who is sick. Why should I? Well, we can't tell you how to think of yourself, and wouldn't want to try. But if you think you might have a problem with computer gaming, you are welcome to check out our fellowship meetings, listen and participate. You will fairly soon be able to decide if joining us might be helpful to you. You could also look at our 20 questions page, to see if your experience of gaming is like ours, and to what extent.

Isn't this just a moral problem? While our dysfunctional behavior certainly has moral implications, we don't experience gaming addiction as a moral problem. We tend to think of ourselves not as bad people who are trying to be good, but as sick people who are trying to get well. Our fellowship connections (such as meetings) and program of recovery provide a kind of treatment for the mental condition of compulsive video gaming, whatever it's called.

If video game addiction really is a mental health disorder, can I get over it? Well, yes and no. Our experience is that participating in the fellowship and working a solid program of recovery has helped many of us stay off games for very long periods of time. So it seems that this condition is treatable. But we also have found that if we stop our treatment, there are no guarantees that our condition won't flare up again. In fact, it does, very, very often.

What if I already have a mental health disorder? Other mental health conditions are not something our fellowship deals with directly, although they are serious, and many of our members have them. However, our experience shows us that (for those of us who have them), our mental health problems and our gaming addiction play very nicely together. Each one makes the other one worse, in a downward spiral of dysfunctionality. So we encourage our members to always do what's helpful for them, including getting medical or mental health treatment for other medical or mental health problems. If you are thinking of suicide, for example, we don't have professionals who can help you with that. We encourage you to call the national suicide helpline (#goes here) or 911 for that. But just because you have another condition, that doesn't mean you can't come here. Our only requirement for membership is a desire to stop playing video games. Our entire support system is designed to be helpful to people with video game addiction, whoever and wherever they are.

More questions? Come to a meeting, listen, meet some people and see what you think.

Last edited by Jeff on Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Looks great. Thanks Jeff.  It incorporates many of those keywords that people search for along with "video game addiction".

Can you put it into a Google doc for comments?