Your username may already exist
If you ever posted anything to any of the business forums, your username exists. Check if it is listed at memberlist.php and write support@cgaa.info to get its temporary password. Please change your password and update your email address and other profile information.

DRAFT Format for a potential new meeting

Original Online Meeting Group business agendas, notes, topics, and discussions
Forum rules
* All who attend OOMG meetings on Zoom or Mumble are welcome to participate and vote in OOMG business.
* The business of the Original Online Meeting Group of CGAA is discussed. At our monthly business meeting, we make decisions by group conscience, guided by higher power. Everyone has a vote on group matters.
* Back and forth discussion of different perspectives is appropriate. We strive to be respectful of all.
* Anonymity reminds us to place principles before personalities.
ADH

DRAFT Format for a potential new meeting

Post by ADH »

Hi, I'm proposing a radically different format for a new OOMG meeting.

It contains a reading of the steps.
It assumes zoom.
It requests people to show their camera, and makes appropriate requests.
There is a request to introduce in a certain way.

Here's the format:
Welcome to the <day> <time> meeting of Computer Gaming Addicts Anonymous. Hi, my name is ... and I'm a computer gaming addict.

Please have your camera turned.

We start the meeting with the serenity prayer in the first person:
Higher power, grant me the serenity to accept the thing I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Are there any newcomers here?

Who would like to read the mission statement?
------
Computer Gaming Addicts Anonymous is a fellowship of people who support each other in recovering from the problems resulting from excessive game playing. C.G.A.A. is not affiliated with any political agenda, religion, or outside interests. Our single purpose is to abstain from gaming and to help others find freedom from the effects of gaming addiction. We have no membership requirements beyond the desire to stop gaming.

Our groups share their collective experience and the principles that helped them. Each of us is free to try out or disregard the suggestions of the program and other members. We have no professionals and no affiliation with any professional or government services. Our groups are financed by voluntary contributions from members and accept no outside funding.
------

In CGAA we work on our recovery from computer gaming addiction. We ask that any comments or discussions are confined to issues with computer gaming addiction.

In this meeting we introduce ourselves as computer/video gaming addicts. This is in compliance with our first tradition, which states: "Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon CGAA unity," and third tradition: "The only requirement for CGAA membership is a desire to stop computer/video gaming."

I asked ... to read the 12 steps:
------
The Twelve Steps are a treatment for the mental condition of computer gaming addiction. CGAA places a high value on respect for all of the many various spiritual, philosophical and religious beliefs and have worded our steps in a general way that can be easily used by anyone seeking recovery from computer gaming addiction.

For those whose attempts to effectively moderate their gaming have failed, we have a suggested program of recovery involving spiritual principles for a new way of living. Many of us have tried to recover without following these suggestions, without success. Those of us who have tried this approach have consistently found remarkable progress toward the people we were meant to be.

Some of these steps sound difficult, perhaps impossible, at this point. All we needed to start work in this program was some honesty, open-mindedness and willingness. If you have these, you will be able to begin, one step at a time. We strongly suggest seeking the help of an experienced sponsor. None of us has been able to live perfectly by the principles set forth here. We seek progress, not perfection, one day at a time.

Here are the steps we have taken, which are suggested in our program of recovery:

1. We admitted that we were powerless over gaming addiction, and that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. We came to believe that power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of such power.
4. We made a searching and fearless personal inventory of ourselves.
5. We admitted to ourselves, another human being, and power greater than ourselves the exact nature of our problematic behavior and attitudes.
6. We were entirely ready to have power greater than ourselves completely free us of all these defects of character.
7. We humbly sought from higher power the removal of our shortcomings.
8. We made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. We continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. We sought through practices such as meditation and prayer to improve our conscious contact with power greater than ourselves, seeking only knowledge of what to do and the strength to do so.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to gaming addicts, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
------
If you gamed during the last 24 hours, we ask that you to sit back and listen during this meeting. After the meeting there's room to talk with those who remain and, optionally, to find a sponsor.

This is a step discussion meeting. We share experience, strength and hope, regarding applying the spiritual solutions to our common problem of computer gaming addiction. We focus our discussion on how we practice these principles in all our affairs. If you need to ask the group conscience a question regarding the 12 steps, you can do so during your share. Please limit shares to five minutes when we have or are likely to have 15+ people. The floor is now open to anyone who would like to share experience, strength and hope.
------
(approx. 5 minutes before the end of the meeting)
Thanks you all for sharing your experience, strength and hope.

As per our seventh tradition, each CGAA group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions. We have no dues or fees. If you are a member and would like to help with expenses, feel free to visit our http://cgaa.info/self-support webpage.

There are email contacts for meeting locally https://cgaa.info/meet-locally, a WhatsApp group https://cgaa.info/whatsapp and YouTube channel https://cgaa.info/stories

Who would like to read the milestones:
------
Please stick up your hand, or otherwise let it know to us when we arrive at what is appropriate to you.

Are there any newcomers?
Is there anybody who wishes to restart working the program of recovery?

Who is game free between 24 hours and 30 days?
Who is game free for 30 days?
Who is game free between 30 days and 3 months?
Who is game free between 3 and 6 months?
Who is game free for 6 months?
Who is game free between 6 and 9 months?
Who is game free for 9 months?
Who is game free between 9 months and a year?
Who is game free for a year?
Who is game free between 1 and 2 years?
Who is game free for 2 years or more? How long?
Everybody congratulations with today!
------

If you are new or don't yet have a sponsor, we encourage you to consider getting one. Sponsorship is an informal, voluntary relationship that can be very helpful. Over here you can find more information about it: https://cgaa.info/sponsorship/
Anyone who is available to be a sponsor please indicate so by typing “!”, including your contact information.

Are there any announcements for the good of CGAA?

<announcements>

Let's have a moment of silence for the still suffering gaming addict, inside and out of the rooms.

We close the meeting with the "we" form of the serenity prayer.
Higher power, grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change,
the courage to change the things we can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Let us hug each other (To hug one another, everyone type "hugs" into their screen or do something compassionate with your camera).
Thoughts? Comments?

[NOTE 30 December 2020, 18:21CET]: After talking with somebody, I did include the mission statement.
[NOTE 30 December 2020, 18:47CET]: Added some stuff I forgot (moment of silence, hugs).
[NOTE 31 December 2020, 00:09CET]: Removed "The solution CGAA has is the 12 steps."
[NOTE 1 January 2021, 17:58CET]: Changed a line into: We ask that any comments or discussions are confined to issues with computer gaming addiction.
[NOTE 2 January 2021, 11:20CET]: Changed some text in accordance to reasonable requests from the whatsapp group.
Last edited by ADH on Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
Scott

Re: DRAFT Format for a potential new meeting

Post by Scott »

I do see a need for a non-beginner's meeting. We have so many newcomers that our daily meetings need to focus on basics. It would be great to have at least one weekly meeting that always goes beyond basics. I don't think it should replace one of our 1:30 or 10pm EST meetings. Those daily meetings need to be available for newcomers and beginners. I think this new meeting should be at a different time or different location. I'd be willing to help with it.

I don't want to suggest that this new meeting will have recovery and solutions while others do not. Obviously that's not true.

I also don't want to suggest that the steps comprise the entire solution available in CGAA. Also obviously not true. I wrote about this at length in What is the recovery program of CGAA?
tamird

Re: DRAFT Format for a potential new meeting

Post by tamird »

I feel like making a format for a new meeting is self defeating and misguiding.
Have the meeting and improve the format from within.
The Twelve Steps are a treatment for the mental condition of computer gaming addiction. CGAA places a high value on respect for all of the many various spiritual, philosophical and religious beliefs and have worded our steps in a general way that can be easily used by anyone seeking recovery from computer gaming addiction.
Strongly disagree with the wording "treatment" and "mental condition". To the point that I would not read it as such.
I would phrase it: "The Twelve Steps are a program for living a life of recovery from gaming addition."

The part about higher power is overly apologetic and verbose.
Only need to state that "The term Higher Power used in the steps, referes to each individuals own concept according to hers or his spiritual, philosopical or religious beliefs."