Your username may already exist
If you ever posted anything to any of the business forums, your username exists. Check if it is listed at memberlist.php and write support@cgaa.info to get its temporary password. Please change your password and update your email address and other profile information.

July 12th 2020 GSC meeting minutes

General Service Conference meetings, agendas, and notes.
Forum rules
* The business of the General Service Conference is discussed. We make decisions by group conscience, guided by higher power. Those elected as a trustee or delegate can vote on all GSC matters. CGAAIS staff can vote on issues related to their area.
* Back and forth discussion of different perspectives is appropriate. We strive to be respectful of all.
* Anonymity reminds us to place principles before personalities.
Post Reply
LearningSerenity
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 pm

July 12th 2020 GSC meeting minutes

Post by LearningSerenity »

Quorum (6 needed, 8 Present)


Approval of May 10th minutes


minutes-for-june-14th-2020-meeting-t2274.html#p8768


Unanimous


Reports


Incorporation committee
Making significant progress, and the number of significant issues yet to address is shrinking


Literature committee
Collecting info for a couple pieces being worked on and still considering the idea of a blog on the website for the sake of frequently updated content on the website


Webmaster
We currently have a relatively large quantity of traffic to the website and some issues have been fixed.


Hotline
Report will be provided next meeting


Webmaster position


There was discussion on the webmaster position and the idea of setting up a rotation for it.
A member raised it as an issue to talk about, and preliminary discussion took place mostly around what the GSC wants to determine in regards to formalizing the role at some point in the future. Priority of this discussion doesn't seem very high at the moment.


Point was raised about webmaster being a position that was initially talked about (years ago) as being a part of CGAAIS responsibility (paid or volunteer role). This being the case, the nature of this is such that the discussion should probably be happening at the Trustee level rather than the GSC level. As such, if the GSC wants something to happen with it, we should direct the Trustees to look into it.


Website review committee


Original stated goal was "to change the look, feel, and structure (but not content) to make more modern and it easier [sic] to find things.


Original approved proposal "Begin working on website revisions, with the extent of the revisions to be decided by the committee. Committee will report back to the GSC before changes are made. Initial committee will include Morgan, Xander, and possibly Ian. (The above quotes are from January 2020 GSC meeting minutes)


Webmaster voted yes under the impression that the committee was going to look things over and come back with suggestions for changes, and then changes would be made from there. Webmaster was busy enough to not want to be particularly involved in the making suggestions phase, but definitely wants to be involved in the change implementation phase.


Various members of the GSC expressed the fact that their expectations were generally that there would be research done and suggestions brought back before any significant or major work was done. The GSC should perhaps have been more clear as to what was expected, as the wording of the proposal left room for far more than just that.


The current state of affairs is one in which there is much confusion as to what has been done by the committee so far.


Website revision committee report


Limited alternate color schemes have been looked at. A complete map of the current site has been created. An alternate map exists, but not as a standard flowchart that can be readily grasped in the same way. Possible web builders have been looked at.


Comments on report: It appears that more research still needs to be done, and certainly we need to have a better grasp of what's going on before making any decision.


After discussion, the following was proposed...
Proposal: That in the next month, the committee make available information that it has developed regarding color schemes, site maps, and alternative main pages, and that we revisit what to do at the next meeting.
Approved unanimously
Attachments
July 12th GSC minutes (revised Sep. 12th).pdf
(29.98 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
MorganF
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 pm

July 12th 2020 GSC meeting minutes

Post by MorganF »

Misc suggested changes

Webmaster Position
"Point was raised about webmaster being a position that was initially talked about (years ago) as being a part of CGAAIS responsibility (paid or volunteer role)." -> Point was raised about webmaster being a position that is under the purview of the future CGAAIS and, therefore, the responsibility of the trustees to appoint, particularly since position is of a professional nature and may require hiring someone to perform. (Or something along those lines; just making that point about it being a BoT thing stronger than the minutes currently state it.)

"Webmaster was busy enough to not want to be particularly involved in the making suggestions phase, but definitely wants to be involved in the change implementation phase." -> Webmaster was busy and was only able to participate minimally in the initial phase of work. The webmaster expressed that he wants to be involved more in the subsequent stages of work. (Scott did participate and make contributions to the initial work we did; but I understand he was not able to participate as much as he otherwise might would have liked. To that end, this phrasing feels more accurate to both feelings and events, as I understood them.)

Website review committee
Reading this a second time, no changes

Website Revision Committee Report
(additions in italics) Only a couple of alternate color schemes have been looked at, but extensive research on color theory has been done. A complete map of the current site has been created. Alternate maps exist, but not as a standard flowchart that can be readily grasped in the same way. Possible online web builders have been looked at and one, in particular, could be recommended. Concepts of the mainpage, newcomer page, and some other website content have been built using an online web builder. Use of symbols has been researched and is waiting to be incorporated. Documentation can be found here:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hOi ... sp=sharing

"Comments on report: It appears that more research still needs to be done, and certainly we need to have a better grasp of what's going on before making any decision." -> The latter was true and is the reason why the report was finally given; this was already stated in the previous, section, though, so I am not sure this needs to be repeated. The first part of this was not a comment I recall hearing from anyone. We have done quite a substantial amount of research, in fact, and are more at a point of needing to work through the ideas that I and the committee have come up with. Thus the final proposal for me to get a few extra ducks in a row and present some options to the GSC. So something like this might be more appropriate to replace this paragraph:

Per earlier discussion, some GSC members were expecting something as simple as some alternate color schemes, site maps, and main pages being presented by the committee to the GSC. Committee had these materials ready, but not in a form suitable to present to the GSC. The following proposal was made: (final proposal)
 
Thank you, Tim, for being open to feedback on this. I'll try to read meeting minutes sooner in the future.
LearningSerenity
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 pm

July 12th 2020 GSC meeting minutes

Post by LearningSerenity »

Thanks for the feedback, Morgan.  I think that some of your points are well taken, and I will put up a modified set of notes that incorporates those suggestions to the extent that I find myself in agreement with them.  There were a few points that felt odd or inconsistent, but I generally tried to take the ideas and incorporate them to the extent that I could.

Some specific comments to your specific feedback suggestions (which are appreciated, by the way).

1. For the webmaster position, I went ahead and reworded the paragraph to explain a bit of the reasoning behind why the GSC should tell the Trustees to do something if the GSC wants to see something happen.

2. For the webmaster's comments under the discussion of the website review committee, I'm not sure I get the importance of the first part of the change you're suggesting, so I don't see the value in rewording that part.  My understanding of the situation (which may well be lacking) was that Scott hadn't been trying to be very involved in the committee because he was expecting the same thing from the committee that everybody else was...do some research on some ideas and then report back.  My wording captures that sense accurately, I believe, so I'm not sure what the significance of your suggestion is.  For the second part, my recollection of Scott's statement was that he was very interested in being involved in the implementation phase, and the way he said it carried the sense that he would be very confused as to why anybody might ever assume otherwise.  That being the case, I think my original wording is much closer to capturing the message that was being conveyed in that moment than your suggested rewording, so I'm going to leave that part alone as well.  If Scott thinks I've misrepresented him in that part of the minutes, he's certainly welcome to correct me.

3. I've incorporated much of what you bring up into my first paragraph of the website revision committee report, as I (on further reflection) agree with you that it's relevant to the minutes and the decision that was made.  Thanks for catching that.  I didn't include the link because as far as I can tell the link wasn't something that was shared as part of the GSC meeting and therefore doesn't belong in the meeting minutes.

4. I've revised the sentence that you objected to...I'm fairly sure somebody did say something about needing "more research", but it's been too long and it hasn't stuck in my mind clearly enough for me to be super confident of that fact.  My rework essentially summarizes the comments and discussion together as being what lead up to the proposal that was made.

Revised notes are pasted below, and a PDF of said minutes is attached to this post.





Quorum was met.

Approval of May 10th minutes

minutes-for-june-14th-2020-meeting-t2274.html#p8768

Unanimous

Reports

Incorporation committee
Making significant progress, and the number of significant issues yet to address is shrinking

Literature committee
Collecting info for a couple pieces being worked on and still considering the idea of a blog on the website for the sake of frequently updated content on the website

Webmaster
We currently have a relatively large quantity of traffic to the website and some issues have been fixed.

Hotline
Report will be provided next meeting

Webmaster position

There was discussion on the webmaster position and the idea of setting up a rotation for it.
A member raised it as an issue to talk about, and preliminary discussion took place mostly around what the GSC wants to determine in regards to formalizing the role at some point in the future. Priority of this discussion doesn't seem very high at the moment.

Point was raised about webmaster being a position that was initially talked about (years ago) as being a part of CGAAIS responsibility (paid or volunteer role). This being the case, the discussion should probably be happening at the Trustee level rather than the GSC level, as CGAAIS is responsible for this level of service-role decision making. If the GSC wants something to happen with the webmaster, we should direct the Trustees to look into it.

Website review committee

Original stated goal was "to change the look, feel, and structure (but not content) to make more modern and it easier [sic] to find things.

Original approved proposal "Begin working on website revisions, with the extent of the revisions to be decided by the committee. Committee will report back to the GSC before changes are made. Initial committee will include Morgan, Xander, and possibly Ian. (The above quotes are from January 2020 GSC meeting minutes)

Webmaster voted yes under the impression that the committee was going to look things over and come back with suggestions for changes, and then changes would be made from there. Webmaster was busy enough to not want to be particularly involved in the making suggestions phase, but definitely wants to be involved in the change implementation phase.

Various members of the GSC expressed the fact that their expectations were generally that there would be research done and suggestions brought back before any significant or major work was done. The GSC should perhaps have been more clear as to what was expected, as the wording of the proposal left room for far more than just that.

The current state of affairs is one in which there is much confusion as to what has been done by the committee so far.

Website revision committee report

Limited alternate color schemes have been looked at, and several possibilities were put together based on the committee's research on color theory. A complete map of the current site has been created along with maps of alternate site ideas, but the alternates have not been done as a standard flowchart that can be readily grasped in the same way. Possible web builders have been looked at, and multiple homepage mock-ups have been created with one such builder.

Comments/discussion on report: It appears that more work still needs to be done, as the committee will have to provide its work in a more understandable form before the GSC can take any meaningful action.

Proposal: That in the next month, the committee make available information that it has developed regarding color schemes, site maps, and alternative main pages, and that we revisit what to do at the next meeting.
Approved unanimously
MorganF
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 pm

July 12th 2020 GSC meeting minutes

Post by MorganF »

Thank you, Tim.
Post Reply