Your username may already exist
If you ever posted anything to any of the business forums, your username exists. Check if it is listed at memberlist.php and write support@cgaa.info to get its temporary password. Please change your password and update your email address and other profile information.

What is CGAA International Services; how it relates to GSC

General Service Conference meetings, agendas, and notes.
Forum rules
* The business of the General Service Conference is discussed. We make decisions by group conscience, guided by higher power. Those elected as a trustee or delegate can vote on all GSC matters. CGAAIS staff can vote on issues related to their area.
* Back and forth discussion of different perspectives is appropriate. We strive to be respectful of all.
* Anonymity reminds us to place principles before personalities.
Scott

Post by Scott »

I wrote up this summary / cover letter for a proposed set of bylaws strongly based on AA's bylaws (which I'll post later.) I'm posting it here for informational purposes and so that newer people get a better idea of what the GSC is and what the responsibilities of Trustees and Delegates are.

---------------
The Non-Profit Organization of C.G.A.A. International Services

The initial formation of Computer Gaming Addicts Anonymous International Services Inc. will include a Board of Trustees, which will include the positions of Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer and Secretary. This board and its positions will legally correspond to a corporate Board of Directors and its President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary, although we will not use the terms Director or President among ourselves. The number of trustees will be at least five, in compliance with the law, and will have a maximum of eleven.

The responsibilities of the Board will consist of:
  • Legal responsibilities, such as legal filings, finances and record keeping. Some or all trustees may be required to sign legal documents and provide full contact information.

• Website maintenance.

• Publishing and distribution of literature.

• Financial, legal and website support for any committees of C.G.A.A members who perform tasks like answering inquiries. (Each committee handles all of the day-to-day responsibilities of their areas.)

• Quarterly meetings and reviews via phone or internet.

• Involvement in the General Service Conference and attendance of its annual meeting.

The initial formation of C.G.A.A.I.S may or may not include work positions such as manager, editor, accountant, webmaster or office worker. After initial formation, these positions may at some point be filled by volunteers or paid workers, as the General Service Conference directs the Trustees and as the treasury permits. Until then, any such workers will be volunteers. They are referred to as "the staff of C.G.A.A.I.S." in our bylaws and the Conference Charter.

The initial formation of C.G.A.A.I.S will also include the General Service Conference, which is composed of the Board of Trustees, the Delegates elected by C.G.A.A. groups, and volunteer staff of C.G.A.A.I.S. We have no set minimums or maximums for the number of delegates. They are elected by the C.G.A.A. groups.

The responsibilities of the Delegates will consist of:
  • Attending the annual General Service Conference, which may be held via phone, internet, face-to-face meeting, or some combination thereof.

• Communicating Conference process and outcomes to their C.G.A.A. groups.

• Seeking the guidance of their C.G.A.A. groups in important matters when feasible.

• Weighing in on any and all decisions affecting the bylaws, Conference Charter or overall service organization of C.G.A.A.I.S. Such decisions will be usually made at the annual Conference meeting, but the Board of Trustees may poll the delegates by mail or e-mail to decide urgent matters that arise between conference meetings.

The responsibilities of the body of the General Service Conference (which includes both Trustees and Delegates) will consist of:
  • Organizing the annual conference meeting.

• Providing overall guidance and direction to the Board of Trustees and C.G.A.A.I.S., regarding publishing, the website, bylaws, and wording of the steps, traditions and concepts.

• Planning, drafting, revising and approving literature and website content.

• Deciding any changes to the Conference Charter.
Last edited by Scott on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MorganF

Post by MorganF »

There is frequent reference to the "annual Conference meeting." Is the "annual conference" different from the meeting we had today? Or does our fellowship, due to its newness and excess of work that needs to be done, have something more like a "monthly conference" or "bi-monthly conference"?

So functionally speaking, Delegates are sort of the go-betweens for the various groups/larger membership and the Trustees while the Trustees are responsible for administering the legal matters of the organization like incorporation, publishing literature, or managing a staffing payroll if/when we need paid staff to support our 12th step work, a la AA.

Put another way, the Trustees don't do anything until the Delegates tell them to and the Delegates only direct the Trustees based on what the larger CGAA membership has, by its group conscious, asked the GSC to do.

Is that correct?
Scott

Post by Scott »

The "annual Conference meeting" is a reference from the AA bylaws. The AA trustees have four meetings per year, one of those being a Conference meeting with the Delegates. Yes, we're having monthly instead of annual meetings to get things moving, get CGAAIS incorporated, get literature produced, get a basic text rolling, and get more support for starting face-to-face meetings. At some point, we'll have quarterly meetings instead.
So functionally speaking, Delegates are sort of the go-betweens for the various groups/larger membership and the Trustees while the Trustees are responsible for administering the legal matters of the organization like incorporation, publishing literature, or managing a staffing payroll if/when we need paid staff to support our 12th step work, a la AA.

Yes, though it's more accurate to say "the Trustees and staff of CGAAIS" where you wrote "the Trustees". There are no trustees of CGAA, only trustees of a non-profit service arm of CGAA that is directed by the greater fellowship through the General Service Conference.
Put another way, the Trustees don't do anything until the Delegates tell them to and the Delegates only direct the Trustees based on what the larger CGAA membership has, by its group conscious, asked the GSC to do.

Close. The trustees are in charge of the business details of CGAAIS, things like paying bills, answering phones, maintaining a website, accounting, legal filings, shipping literature, etc, and they are self-directed in this work and make business decisions on their own when need be. When it comes to anything affecting the CGAA fellowship (like writing literature or re-wording bylaws), then they don't do anything until the General Service Conference tells them what to do based on what the larger fellowship wants. The GSC is Delegates plus Trustees plus the staff of CGAAIS.
hirshthg

Post by hirshthg »

I would disagree with Scott slightly and we are still hammering out the details. For instance I don't think the trustees (as such) should necessarily be running the website. Here is how I see it:

Under state law there are legal requirements that non-profits be organized is specific ways. For instance, there must be an annual meeting with minutes taken by a secretary. There must be a names treasurer. There needs to be a yearly audit by an auditing firm. Ex. These are legal requirements for non for profit corporations. Because we know what these legal obligations are and these technical obligations have never little to do with our general service outreach, we (the fellowship) designate a set number of people to perform those tasks. If the trustees see that there is a legal task that is likely to affect the fellowship's goals (for instance, whether to spend a lot of money on copyrighting) our bylaws ask the trustees to direct that question back to the fellowship.

So the way I see the pyramid is that the delegates and conference (to which the trustees are members) is the "head" and the BOT is actually a service arm of the conference. It just so happens that the conference give the boring legal stuff to the trustees. It also so happens that in order to empower the trustees, the conference gives legal keys to the trustees. See concept 7 http://forum.cgaa.info/post5057.html Therefore legally the fellowship's resources are squarely in the hands of the trustees. Why? If we got sued tomorrow, and we had 15 days to contest venue, there is no way we would be able to go back to the groups, have them think it over, send the message back to the delegates, ex. and then hire an attorney. However, whenever the delegates in the conference vote, the BOT is bound by that vote. Hence the BOT is an arm of the conference.