Your username may already exist
If you ever posted anything to any of the business forums, your username exists. Check if it is listed at memberlist.php and write support@cgaa.info to get its temporary password. Please change your password and update your email address and other profile information.

Our relationship with OLG-Anon?

General Service Conference meetings, agendas, and notes.
Forum rules
* The business of the General Service Conference is discussed. We make decisions by group conscience, guided by higher power. Those elected as a trustee or delegate can vote on all GSC matters. CGAAIS staff can vote on issues related to their area.
* Back and forth discussion of different perspectives is appropriate. We strive to be respectful of all.
* Anonymity reminds us to place principles before personalities.
MorganF

Post by MorganF »

Some questions I raised after the recent GSC meeting related to OLG-Anon & CGAA's relationship.

AA and Al-anon have a allyship, such that they agree to cooperate in their support of alcoholics and friends/family. Cooperation with AA is actually written into Al-Anon's traditions.

OLGA/OLG-Anon is basically two fellowships in one, a place for gaming addicts and for friends and family. However, CGAA was born out of dysfunction within the OLGA/OLG-Anon fellowship, including some gaming addicts being banned from attending meetings by the owners of the website. OLG-Anon also having OLGA (gaming addicts) means we are technically in direct competition with their website for helping gaming addicts. They also do exactly the thing we are trying to avoid, which is cross-list gaming addiction and ITAA. Their website lists face-2-face meetings that are all over the board on being purely gaming addiction, ITAA, or some combination thereof. They also have a forum dedicate to "news" about gaming addiction and express more than a few opinions about gaming addiction in the outside world.

As a member of Al-anon, I personally direct friends and family that I encounter on hot-line calls to Al-anon as I know that most Al-anon meetings would welcome friends and family affected by addiction, writ-large, because of the rather loose way we tend to interpret our third tradition. As a fellowship, CGAA could not formally do that, though, without disrespecting Al-anon's third tradition. That leaves us with OLG-Anon as our main option for formally directing friends and family/having a formal relationship with an anon fellowship. However, our past with OLG-Anon and what I have observed about their website, its content, and what they have to offer in the way of recovery makes me dubious to formally work with them to send friends and family their way. I'm going to attend their Thursday night online meeting to see and learn more.

Questions:
Should we approach OLGA-Anon about closing the OLGA portion of the website and ask them to redirect gaming addicts to CGAA?
Should we consider formally working with them to direct friends and family their way as they direct gaming addicts our way?
Scott

Post by Scott »

When we were using the olganon website, there were four different entities: (1) a privately-owned website, (2) a non-profit advocacy organization, (3) a recovery fellowship using the site to meet, and (4) a parents-and-spouses support group using the site to meet.

I always thought of our fellowship as being a distinct entity separate from the rest of it, even while using that website.

I still think of the parents-and-spouses support group as being separate from the rest of it.  They don't have anything to do with the running of the website or non-profit.  They just take care of their own business.

So when I'm referring parents and spouses, I think of it as referring them to the nameless support group, i.e. the group of parents and spouses who support each other with their struggles.  That group is not entangled in the website and non-profit.  They could start meeting somewhere else tomorrow.

When people come looking for support we don't provide, I think it's important to refer them elsewhere.  If we don't, people will continue to look to CGAA, the only thing they're aware of, for support.  We can be clear we are not affiliated and do not endorse other groups.  We're just saying that these other resources exist.

Should we approach OLGA-Anon about closing the OLGA portion of the website and ask them to redirect gaming addicts to CGAA?

I don't think we, CGAA, should approach the owner of the olganon website about anything.  Even though it is true that some suffering game addicts search online, find olganon.org, see nothing is going on there, assume no support exists, and give up their search, the website owner is extremely unlikely to close the "online gamers" part of the website or remove the statement that there exists a fellowship called OLGA.

The only consistently active person in the olganon forum is regularly directing problem gamers to a schedule of CGAA meetings that includes a link to our website.  I think that's the most we could reasonably expect.

Should we consider formally working with them to direct friends and family their way as they direct gaming addicts our way?

The directing both ways is already happening.  I don't think improvement is possible at this point.
ADH

Post by ADH »

Our 10th tradition comes into play here. OLGA is, strange as it may sound, an outside issue. We have no opinion on that. How another "fellowship" conducts its business is not up to us, it's up to them.

How would you feel when someone from OLGA were to barge in here and tell us to shut down our forums? I predict you'd feel upset (at best) and they very well may have to deal with an explosion of rage and eventually the discussion could be locked or even deleted.

How do you think the people at OLGanon would respond?
I think the issue will deal with itself eventually.
hirshthg

Post by hirshthg »

At this point, I would say no, for now.  

1. we are in the middle of producing our own literature, and in establishing our own meetings.

2. OLGA-non is not a 12 step fellowship.

Maybe one day, but not with the current events as they are. I note that AA existed without Al-anon for a while. 
mrtambourine1941

Post by mrtambourine1941 »

I stopped directing family members to OLGAnon because I had a person in the meeting I chaired, who turned out to be a family member, who told me after the meeting that they joined OLGA's meeting and then were contacted by the professional to offer them professional help. I don't want to send anyone to the place that doesn't offer any real help. I think Shmully created a WhatsApp channel for families, here is the link:
https://chat.whatsapp.com/JiWyVHj3xisK2ONDis2gzK